In this article, we will discuss how to clean a coffee maker? When your coffee starts to taste bitter and indifferent, it’s time to give your coffee maker a nice cleaning. A normal cleaning is usually enough to keep your machine functioning well. But in case you have not done that from a long time it can be bad for you and your coffee machine’s health. To maintain its freshness, you need to remove hard water spots from the carafe, and prevent it from staining. You also need to remove any mineral accumulation and get rid of the coffee oils which get left behind and stinks. All this is quite easy to do and you are likely to have everything required to freshen up your machine at home. Below are the steps you need to follow in order to clean a coffee maker. Follow them accordingly to get positive results.
Steps to Clean a Coffee Maker
1.) Vinegar Solution to Clean a Coffee Maker
Steps to Follow:
- Take 3 cups white vinegar and mix it with 6 cups water. Make sure it is enough to fill the pot.
- If this is the first time you are cleaning your coffee maker since you bought it couple of years back, you will need to make a stronger solution.
- For this, make a mixture which is half vinegar and half water.
- Instead of vinegar solution, you can prepare a combination by mixing a sufficient amount of water with two dentures tablets. Ensure that you dissolve the tablets in a separate container of water and not directly in the coffee maker water reservoir.
- Other than this solution, you make another solution by mixing 1 ounce of citric acid in 4 cups of hot water. Then mix 4 cups of cold water to the mixture.
- You can also by ready-made coffee maker cleaners to save your time.
2.) Process to Clean a Coffee Maker
Steps to Follow:
- After you have decided as which solution to go for, put a filter in your coffee maker, as normal.
- Let take vinegar solution to clean a coffee maker. Pour the vinegar solution into the coffee maker where you normally add water.
- Now, start your coffee maker and leave the mixture run a completely cycle.
- Then, get rid of the filter and mixture.
- Let your coffee machine sit and cool for about 15 minutes while it’s switched off.
- After 15 minutes, Wash the coffee pot.
3.) Water to Clean a Coffee Maker
Steps to Follow:
- After you are done with the vinegar solution cleaning step, you need to clean the machine using water.
- For this, you need to repeat all of the above steps again.
- First pour some cold water into the filter of your coffee maker.
- Second, run your machine as you normally do and complete a full cycle.
- This cycle will make sure that all of the vinegar solution is completely removed.
- In case you are short on time, smell your coffee pot and maker after the first wash. If you find that there is no smell of vinegar solution left in it, you can skip the water rinse.
Tips to Follow to Clean a Coffee Maker:
Other Useful Tips
- You can place a glass marble in the water chamber to trap mineral deposits from hard water. You can use a wooden chopstick with a paper towel to reach the areas that are hard to get in.
- You can use a baby bottle brush to get rid of stubborn stains inside your coffee maker.
- In order to clean the pot only, put two cups of ice, one-fourth cup of table salt, and one-fourth cup of lemon juice. Swirl the mixture around the pot. Do it for several minutes before throwing it. Make sure that the pot is cold before you do this.
- To treat tough stains, you can scrub the pot with a paper towel or clean dish towel. Rinse it thoroughly.
- Do not use the coffee pot to transfer water into the reservoir as this may transfer oils and impurities from the pot, which will give your coffee a bad taste. Instead of it, you can use a pitcher which is reserved for water only.
- You can use a microfiber towel as it will clean better as compared to paper towels.