In this article, we will discuss how to clean a shower head? If your shower head is spraying unevenly, then it is time to clean it. This happens because the tiny holes of shower head get plugged with mineral deposits with regular use and no cleaning. So, in order to let water to flow freely from your shower head, it is important that you unclog it from these deposits. To do this task, you may need to soak your shower head in vinegar. And this means that you may need to remove the shower head from the shower arm. Modern shower heads are screwed onto the shower arm (the pipe which comes out of the shower wall). Whereas older shower heads used to have a shower arm with a ball-shaped end which act as a swivel for the shower head. Doesn’t matter which type you have in your bathroom as both need cleaning. Below you can find the steps to clean a shower head easily and effectively.
Steps to Clean a Shower Head
1.) Initial Rinse to Clean a Shower Head
Before you start cleaning a shower head, it is important that you rinse the floor, tiles, and walls of the shower using hot water for a few minutes. This will not only help address the superficial clutter, but the heat will also help expand the pores of all the surface materials. Hence, the process of cleaning will be easier.
2.) Vinegar to Clean a Shower Head
Cleaning shower heads is one of the overlooked steps in bathroom cleaning routines. You will accept this once you look at limescale covering on the small holes of your shower head. Then, you know how important this task is. It is not so difficult to know how to clean a shower head. Here is the method;
- For this, you just need to soak your shower head in a tub filled with vinegar solution, or detergent solution.
- Let it sit for a few hours and then scrub the gunk away using brush.
- In case the shower head is fixed to the wall, you just need to fill a re-sealable plastic bag with same vinegar solution and affix it to your shower head.
- Let it soak for a couple of hours before you remove and rinse it.
3.) Get Rid of Soapy Layer from Shower Tiles and Surfaces to Clean a Shower Head
After that, you will need to remove the entire soapy layer, oily dirt and other residues, from your shower. For this, follow the below mentioned steps.
- Here, you will need to buy a shower cleaning product.
- Fill this solution in a spray bottle and spray it on the targeted area.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes at least. After that, rinse it all off with water.
- Always ensure that you read the label of any cleaning products you use.
- Try to keep your bathroom well ventilated and always wear rubber gloves and protective clothing when cleaning.
4.) Clean the Grouting to Clean a Shower Head
Remember to remove the mold in the grouting using some appropriate shower cleaner. Here, you will need to apply a cleaning product on the targeted area. Then wait for some time to break down the dirt. After that using a toothbrush, scrub down the shower area thoroughly. Finally, rinse it off with water. Repeat the process as needed.
5.) Unclog the Drain to Clean a Shower Head
For this step, first wear proper rubber gloves. This is because you will need to pick out tangled hair and other residue from the drain to unclog it. To clean between the grates of the drain, you can use a crochet hook to get rid of hair and other greasy accumulation. You can use a drain cleaner afterwards to dissolve any remaining build up in the drain. And, as said earlier, follow the directions on the label of the drain cleaner product. Allow the cleaner to sit for 30 minutes before flushing out it using water.