In this article, we will discuss how to clean car seats? It is very common for car seats to suffer from dust, dirt and spills due to regular use. But it is important to clean them periodically. Car seats can be of different types, so you may need to use a different treatment to suit the type of fabric your car have. As some car seat fabrics may require some special treatment so it’s better to check your vehicle manual to know if there is any special cleaning or maintenance advice. Also, make sure that you always read the label on your cleaning product to know whether it is suitable for use on your seat fabric. Below you can find step-by-step instruction to clean car seats.
NOTE: Before you start with the steps, it is best to test any cleaning product on a small area your car upholstery. This will help you decide whether you should use the product on your car seat or not.
Things you need to Clean Car Seats:
- Laundry detergent or car upholstery cleaner.
- 2 buckets
- A vacuum cleaner
- A towel
- A sponge
- Leather conditioner
- A chamois
Steps to Clean Car Seats
1.) Directions to Clean Fabric Car Seats
Steps to Follow:
- To clean fabric car seats, you will need to use either a small hand-held vacuum cleaner or a household vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment to get rid of any debris from the car seats and the rest of the upholstery. This will help prevent getting any dirt onto the seats as you clean them.
- Now take two bucket. Fill one with cold water, and another with hot water.
- Next, add a scoop of ordinary laundry detergent or car upholstery cleaner in the hot water bucket. This will be used to clean your car upholstery. Make sure that you read the instruction label of your chosen product. Follow the instructions accordingly for the best results.
- Then, take a sponge and soak in the hot water bucket. Scrub each individual seat thoroughly using this sponge. Remember, not to make your seat become too wet.
- After your seats gets cleaned completely and are evenly moistened, take a towel and soak it in the bucket filled with cold water.
- Use this soaked towel to scrub excess dirt and detergent from the surface of your car seat.
- Repeat this process as needed.
2.) Directions to Clean Leather Car Seats
Always make sure that leather or faux-leather car upholstery is treated with a great level of care. Also, make sure that you always use specialist leather car upholstery cleaner. Vacuum your leather car seats as often as you feel. For intensive cleaning for your car seats, follow the below mentioned directions.
- First, you will need to vacuum the seats and the rest of the car interior.
- Once you are done with vacuuming, apply a sufficient amount of the car upholstery cleaner as instructed on the packaging.
- After that, wipe down the seats with a moist chamois thoroughly. Also, make sure you remove the cleaning agent completely.
- Let the seats to get dry naturally.
- Make sure that there are no soap spots or stains remaining anywhere. If found, wipe them using a moist chamois.
- Try to clean your car (in and out) periodically.