In this article, we will discuss how to clean mold? Mold is one of the most common nuisances in most of the homes. The most frustrating thing about mold is that sometimes you don’t even see them immediately. This is because these annoying pests love to thrive in dark, humid, warm places. Your kitchen, bathroom and basement are at the most risk for mold infestation as these places are in constant contact with moisture. If the conditions are appropriate, mold can grow within one or two days. If mold is not treated timely, it can result in respiratory illnesses and can also cause you some year-round allergies. Below we have mentioned some of the methods to clean mold. Follow the instruction accordingly to get positive result.
Remedies to Clean Mold
1.) Baking Soda to Clean Mold
Baking soda is a well-known household cleaner used for different purposes. It can also be used to kill mold in your home. Baking soda is mild having a pH of 8.1. It is harmless to you and your family and pets. It is a best alternative to harsh chemical based mold killer.
- Take one quarter tablespoon of baking soda and add it to a spray bottle filled with water.
- Shake the bottle well to dissolve it completely.
- Now, spray the moldy area with this solution.
- Then, take a sponge or a scrubbing brush and remove entire mold from the infected surface.
- After that, rinse the surface using water to get rid of any residual mold on the surface.
- Repeat the process as needed.
2.) Borax to Clean Mold
Borax is another great alternative to chemical toxic products. It has a pH level of 9 and has a low toxicity. It is generally used as a deodorizer and cleaner for cleaning drains and toilets. It also has excellent herbicide, insecticide, and fungicide qualities.
- To get rid of mold using borax, you will need to make a borax-water solution by mixing one cup of borax in one gallon of water.
- Now, you will need to vacuum up any loose mold to lower the number of bacteria.
- Next, using a scrubbing brush with the borax-water solution, scrub the mold off the infected surface in your house.
- Then, wipe up the area to prevent mold from spreading into the air after the surface has dried.
- Here, rinsing the borax is not required.
- Let the surface dry naturally.
3.) Vinegar Solution to Clean Mold
Vinegar is known to be mild acid which can also help kill mold easily and effectively. It is also safe to use in home. Being non-toxic, it is also a great alternative to harsh chemical based products.
- Take some white distilled vinegar. You can it from your nearby supermarket easily.
- Now, pour a sufficient amount of vinegar into a spray bottle.
- Next, spray the vinegar solution on all the mold infested surfaces.
- Let it sit for an hour at least.
- Then, wipe off the area clean using water.
- Allow the surface to get dry naturally.
4.) Ammonia to Get Rid of Mold Infestation
Ammonia is a perfect ingredient to kill mold from hard non-porous surfaces like glass tiles, countertops, and similar surfaces. However, it is not so effective in porous material like drywall or wood. Ensure that you never mix ammonia with bleach as the gas formed by mixing them is very toxic.
- For this method, simple make a solution by mixing equal amount of clear ammonia and water.
- Fill it in a spray bottle and spray it on all the moldy areas of your home.
- Make sure the ammonia you choose is “clear ammonia”. It should be mentioned on the label.
- After spraying, let it sit on the area for a few hours.
- Then, wipe and rinse the area thoroughly.
5.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Clean Mold
Hydrogen peroxide is another perfect item to clean mold. It has fine anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. It is safe to use in your home and doesn’t damage the environment. You can easily buy hydrogen peroxide from your local drug stores. Here you will need to use 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- In this method, simply add 3% concentration hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.
- Spray this solution on the entire moldy surface. Make sure that all areas are saturated with hydrogen peroxide.
- Let the solution sit for ten minutes.
- After that, scrub the area to remove the entire mold and its stains.
- Finally, just wipe the surface to get rid of residual mold and bacteria.