In this article, we will discuss how to clean sterling silver? Sterling silver is an alloy which is white in color and known to be highly reflective of light. It is made from silver metal. Sterling silver is generally used for making jewelry, tea sets, flatware, and much more. As pure sterling silver is very soft, it is used with a combination of another metal which is usually copper in case of household utensils. Sterling silver is still quite delicate metal as it is prone to tarnishing. Therefore, it is important to take proper care of your sterling silver. Whether you have some kitchen items, jewelry, or any other thing, try to keep them clean and polished to the reflective. Below we have mentioned some of the ways to clean sterling silver. Follow the instructions properly to get best result.
Methods to Clean Sterling Silver
1.) Aluminum Foil to Clean Sterling Silver
Cleaning tarnished or tainted silver with aluminum foil may seem weird, but it actually works. Here is the method to use it.
- Take one liter of water, one piece of aluminum foil and one tablespoon of baking soda. Add them together and boil.
- Now put your silverware in the pot for about ten to fifteen seconds.
- Next, remove them with the help of kitchen tongs.
- Your silverware should appear clean now.
- In case built-up tarnish continues, you can use a paste by mixing one-fourth cup of baking soda and two tablespoons of water together.
- Apply this paste using a damp sponge. Wait for a couple of minutes.
- Finally rinse and dry.
2.) Laundry Detergent to Clean Sterling Silver
Another method to make your jewelry or other silverware clean and sparkling is by making use of laundry detergent. Here is the method
- Take a medium-sized bowl with hot water and add aluminum foil.
- Now, add one tablespoon of laundry detergent (powdered).
- Then immerse your silverware for a couple of minute in this solution.
- Finally rinse them with clean water, and let them air-dry.
3.) Ketchup to Clean Sterling Silver
Ketchup is also among the top methods which can help you clean sterling silver easily and efficiently. Follow the below listed directions.
- Take a small amount of ketchup on a paper towel.
- Rub it gently over the tarnished areas of your silver jewelry.
- To make your silver shinier, allow the ketchup to sit for fifteen minutes.
- Then rub it using a soft cloth and rinse it clean.
- In case there are some textured details on your silver items, you can use a toothbrush to clean them.
4.) Corn Starch to Clean Sterling Silver
A paste of corn starch and water is also an ideal method to make your silver look new and shiny again.
- Apply a sufficient amount of cornstarch paste using a damp cloth.
- Let it dry for a couple of minutes before rubbing it off using a mildly abrasive tool such as cheesecloth or a rough towel.
- You can also substitute corn starch with cream of tartar.
5.) Hand Sanitizer to Clean Sterling Silver
Hand sanitizer is not only useful in fighting germs, but it can also be used as a great silver polish.
- Take a few drops on a soft cloth and rub your silver items with it to remove any tarnish.
- Repeat the process until you get the desired result.
6.) Lemon and Soda to Clean Sterling Silver
A combination of lemon and soda can also work effectively in cleaning your silverware. Here is the method.
- Take a sufficient amount of soda in a bowl. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice in it. Mis it well.
- Now drop your silver items in this bowl of lemon soda for about an hour.
- Finally rinse and dry them thoroughly.