Children will always make you frustrated, when they get gum on clothes. It is quite difficult to remove gum if not treated properly and correctly. Many of you think it is impossible to get gum out of clothes and the cloth is of no use later on. After writing how to get sharpie out of clothes?, we are writing the article to get gum out of clothes in simple and easy methods.
Methods to Get Gum Out of Clothes
1.) Freezing to Get Gum Out of Clothes
Freezing method is quite popular among parents who face the problem of gum on their children clothes. Freezing is considered as the easiest and most frequently suggested tip for removing chewing gum. This method can be done easily at home only and without affecting the fabric at all. It also doesn’t leave any sign of chewing gum after completion.
- Take the cloth having gum on it and put it in a freezer bag.
- Make sure that the chewing gum doesn’t stick to the freezer bag.
- This freezing method can be applied to all garments.
- Tie the bag properly.
- Place the cloth in your freezer.
- Put the freezer bag in the freezer for at least two hours.
- Take away the bag from the freezer after two hours.
- Place the cloth on a solid surface after taking your cloth out from the freezer bag.
- Peel the chewing gum off with the help of knife from the cloth as soon as possible.
- You have to do this act fast to stop the chewing gum from warming up and bonding to the fabric again.
- If you face any difficulty to remove the chewing gum with knife, apply your fingernails as this will take away chewing gum from your clothes.
- Be careful when using knives as it can harm you and your cloth.
- The chewing gum should come out quite smoothly, without any hard work.
- If still some traces remain, then hands wash the cloth or use washing machine for a final wash.
2.) Lemon Juice to Get Gum Out of Clothes
Lemon juice works quite well to get gum out of clothes. It works wonderfully when applied to remove the chewing gum from garments as it is quite cheap, and causes no harm to the garment.
- All you have to do is just soak the fabric having gum in lemon juice and peel the gum off with a dull edge.
- It is advised, that you clean the fabric as soon as possible after applying the lemon juice.
3.) Hairspray to Get Gum Out of Clothes
Hairspray has acetone present in it that helps to get gum out of clothes. The acetone helps to break the bond between gum and the cloth. You can use any hairspray for this method. Removing chewing gum from clothes with hairspray is simple and cheap.
- Directly apply the hair spray onto the chewing gum and it will get hard.
- Now, with the help of blunt knife take way the chewing gum.
4.) Vinegar to Get Gum out of Clothes
Vinegar is a home remedy that is quite effective to get gum out of clothes. The acidic nature of the vinegar helps to remove the bonding of the gum from the cloth.
- Soak the garment in lukewarm vinegar, then peel or brush the gum off slowly with a blunt knife to avoid damaging the garment.
- Vinegar doesn’t affect the fibers of garment at all.
5.) Laundry Detergent to Get Gum Out of Clothes
It’s best to do this at a tub or in a sink.
What you require:
- Some ice cubes
- A flat-edged or blunt knife
- Laundry detergent or liquid soap
Steps to do:
- Put one cube underneath the fabric, directly under the gum.
- There should be no material present between the ice-cube and the gum.
- Now, with another ice-cube rub slowly on the gum, immediately over the below ice-cube.
- Rest for around thirty minutes or until the gum become very cold.
- Take away the ice cubes.
- Place the cloth on a flat surface.
- Peel off the frozen gum with the help of blunt knife.
- Now, clean the area with the help of detergent where the gum was present.
- Clean the garment normally.
6.) Iron to Get Gum Out of Clothes
Steps to Follow:
- Use an iron to get gum out of clothes.
- Place the cloth with gum on it on a piece of board make sure that the gum is against the board.
- Adjust your iron to a medium hot and press it over the gum until the gum melts.
- Using a blunt knife transfer the gum from the fabric to the board.
7.) Peanut Butter to Get Gum Out of Clothes
Steps to Follow:
- Spread peanut butter on the cloth with gum in such a way that peanut butter covers as much of the gum as possible.
- Peanut butter will make the gum soft and it lose its stickiness.
- Now, with the help of blunt knife peel it away.
8.) Petroleum Jelly to Get Gum Out of Clothes
Steps to Follow:
- Apply some petroleum jelly to the glue if it has already dried and hardened.
- Once the gum becomes soft after application, peel it off using a blunt knife.
- Test on the covered part of the garment for removing the gum first.