In this article, we will discuss how to get paint out of carpet? There may be situations when you’re renovating your home and accidentally spill paint on your carpet. Or maybe your children spilled a bucket of pain while playing in the house or may be your freshly painted table wasn’t dry when you moved it back into your house. Whatever the reason maybe, there are several ways that you can try to get paint out of carpet. You can remove such spots by using products such as WD-40, Oxy Clean etc. Though, it is suggested to get paint out of carpet while it is still wet, but there are situations when you may be unable to get to it while it would have been wet. Below we have suggested some of the proven ways to get paint from out of carpet and also ways to remove different types of paint from carpet. Follow the steps properly to get positive results.
Ways to Get Paint Out of Carpet
1.) Get Paint Out of Carpet Using WD40
WD40 is mainly a go-to product for silencing squeaks, loosening stuck parts, displacing moisture, and preventing rust. But there are plenty of other uses as well for it such as getting paint out of carpet.
Things you will need:
- Clean rags (white preferably)
- Razor blade or knife
- Can of WD-40
- Pair of gloves
- Dishwashing liquid
- Hard bristle brush
Directions Get Paint Out of Carpet Which has Dried:
- Before you begin to get paint out of carpet with WD40, use a razor or blade to clean up as much of the dried paint as possible.
- After that, apply the WD40 on the stained area of your carpet to soften it. Then work it out using a clean rag.
- Leave it to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Now, you will need to do some hard work. With the help of a fresh rag, scrub the area continuously where you applied the WD40.
- You can notice that the paint stain is removed from your carpet.
- Finally, using a little bit of dishwashing liquid or any other detergent, clean up the area and leave it to get dry.
- It is necessary that you take proper precaution when removing paint from the carpet or when handling any chemicals such as WD40.
- To protect yourself from any injury, always wear protective gloves at the time of carpet paint removal process.
- This will also protect you during scraping the paint with a sharp razor. Apart from of WD40, you can also use nail polish remover or paint thinner to remove paint out of carpet.
- Either way, you will have to use a razor blade first to get rid of dried paint stains.
- If you’re using some paint thinner, it may be ideal that you absorb the stain with the help of rag instead of scrubbing it. And, once the paint begins to come off, you can scrub and blot alternately. After that, follow-up with cleaning the stained area using a dishwashing liquid and water.
- In case you’ve spilled a large amount of paint on your carpet and it’s almost dried, use a damp rag to keep the area wet and use a wet/dry vacuum to get rid of the paint.
2.) Remove Dried Latex Paint Out of Carpet
One thing which is good about latex paint is that even if it’s been dry for several days, it can be removed easily.
Directions Get Paint Out of Carpet Which has Dried
- For this, first you will need to try to saturate the paint using hot water to soften the paint.
- Then, you will need to lay a clean rag with hot water over the stain.
- Leave it undisturbed for a couple of minutes.
- Afterwards, you will need to blot up the moisture, and will need to blot constantly while adding hot water until the paint is completely removed from the carpet.
3.) Remove Water-Based Paint Out of Carpet
- For this method, simply blot up as much paint as you can use a clean wet rag. Remember not to scrub it.
- In case the oil based paint has dried, you will need to use a knife or blade to remove as much paint as you can.
- Finally, clean up the area using hot water and detergent.
NOTE: Always wear proper gloves when using any of the mentioned paint removal methods. Also, remember that latex is known to dry the skin, so use a good moisturizer to prevent you skin from dryness.