Black mold appears in a greenish-black gelatinous look. It is generally creepy in look because of its wet layer on the top. If water is not available to black mold it becomes dry and powdery. There are numerous molds that appear similar to black mold. In this article, we will tell you some basic steps to kill black mold.
Diseases Spread by Black Mold
- Skin inflammation
- Respiratory problems
- Irritation of the mucous membranes
- Mental impairment
- Damage to internal organs
- Immune system suppression
Ways to Kill Black Mold
1.) Ammonia to Kill Black Mold
Ammonia is a great thing to kill black mold on hard surfaces such as glass, tiles and counter-tops, but it is not as effective at killing black mold growing in material such as wood or drywall.
Steps to Use Ammonia
- Get clear ammonia and some water.
- Mix them in equal quantity to form a solution in a spray bottle.
- Sprinkle it on the black mold areas.
- Make sure you use only the “clear ammonia” written on the label.
- Wait for a few minutes before cleaning the black mold area.
- You can also use detergents and other cleaning products that contain ammonia.
- Just follow the directions written on the label.
2.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Kill Black Mold
Hydrogen peroxide helps to kill black mold in a fast manner as it is anti-fungal in nature. Hydrogen peroxide is quite safe to use and doesn’t harm the environment at all. You can easily buy the hydrogen peroxide from any drug stores of 3% concentration. Hydrogen peroxide easily kills the mold on places such as floors, clothes, bathroom fixtures, and kitchen appliances.
Steps to Use Hydrogen Peroxide
- To kill black mold pour hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle.
- Now, spray the solution on black mold surface.
- This will help to saturate the black mold areas.
- Wait for a few minutes so that the hydrogen peroxide kills the black mold.
- Now, scrub the area to remove all the mold stains.
- Finally rub the surface to remove remaining black mold.
3.) Baking Soda to Kill Black Mold
Baking soda is a renowned natural and effective household. You can also use the baking soda to remove black mold in your house. Baking soda is soft and don’t harm the pets like the other black mold killers that are made of harsh chemicals. The smell released by the black mold is also removed by the baking soda. Baking soda also absorbs the extra moisture to keep black mold away.
Steps to Use Baking Soda
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda in a spray bottle with some water in it.
- Shake it well to mix the baking soda completely into the water.
- Now, spray the solution on the black mold area.
- With the help of a sponge or brush remove the entire black mold from the surface.
- After scrubbing away the black mold, clean the surface with water.
- This will remove any remaining black mold on the surface.
4.) Borax to Kill Black Mold
Borax is normally used for cleaning toilets as well as a deodorizer. Borax is also used as a fungicide, insecticide, and it can be used to kill black mold. You can easily buy borax from the drug stores for a few dollars.
Steps to Use Borax
- Mix a cup of borax in a gallon of water.
- Scrub the black mold off the surface using a scrubbing-brush.
- Drop the borax solution while scrubbing.
- Remove the extra moisture and black mold particles to stop them from spreading into the air.
- Don’t clean the borax solution as it will stop black mold from beginning to grow on the same place again.
- Wait for the surface to dry fully.