In this article, we will discuss how to remove acrylic nails? Acrylic nails or fake nails are in fashion now-a-days. It is an easy and instant way to style your nails for a special occasion. However, removing acrylic nails can be a quite a challenging task, especially if you don’t take proper care of them. In case you’re wondering as to how to remove acrylic nails, fortunately you have come to the right page. Here, we’re going to guide you not one but two ways to get rid of acrylic nails.
A.) Method 1 to Remove Acrylic Nails
Things you will need:
- Nail polish remover
- Nail clipper
- Olive oil
- Petroleum jelly
- Glass bowl
- Moisturizing lotion
- Orange-wood stick
- Nail file
- Nail buffer
- Clean towel
Steps to Remove Acrylic Nails:
1.) Trimming to Remove Acrylic Nails
In the first step, start the process with trimming your nails down as short as you can. But, be careful while trimming so that you don’t cut yourself. Trimming your nail will make the removing process easier and quicker as you will not clean up less acrylic nails.
2.) Nail Polish Remover to Remove Acrylic Nails
In the second step, get a glass bowl and fill it partly with an acetone nail polish remover. Now, keep it aside.
3.) Nail File to Remove Acrylic Nails
Thirdly, with the help of nail file, buffer your nails to remove the gloss from them. Make sure that you are not focusing on a single spot. Move the nail file around the nail often and evenly. Get rid of the dust and residue after you are done with this step.
4.) Apply Petroleum Jelly to Remove Acrylic Nails
Now, you can remove acrylic nails by applying a thin layer of petroleum jelly all around skin which is in contact with your nail bed. This will help in keeping your skin protected from the acetone nail polish remover. It is necessary to use more petroleum jelly rather than skipping this step.
5.) Dip your Acrylic Nails in Nail Polish Remover Bowl
Now in this step dip your acrylic nails into the bowl containing acetone nail polish remover. Let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the glue which holds the acrylic nail to your actual nail bed starts to come off on its own.
6.) Try Removing Acrylic Nails Gently
After the dipping process glue will come off and you may find that your nails have gotten very soft. So, try to remove acrylic nails gently. In case you feel some sort of discomfort, dip your nail again in acetone nail polish remover. NO matter what, it is strongly suggested that you never try to remove your acrylic nails forcefully. This is because; such action can cause you nails serious damage and can also result in infection.
7.) Wash your Hands after Removing Acrylic Nails
After removing your acrylic nails, rinse your hands thoroughly with water. Wash out all the petroleum jelly and the nail polish remover from your fingers. You can use a buffer in case of any leftover glue.
8.) Apply Olive Oil to Remove Fake Nails at Home
Finally, apply some cuticle oil or olive oil to moisturize your nails that would have got dried because of the entire nail removing process.
B.) Method 2: Remove Acrylic Nails Using Dental Floss
Things you will need:
- 12 inches of floss
- Metal file
Steps to Remove Acrylic Nails:
This method to remove acrylic nails is quite simple. However, you will need two people to help you do this. It is faster, but not suggested for those who suffer from peeling or brittle nail issue.
1.) Firstly, with the help of metal nail file, lift the tip of your nail just enough that you can slip the dental floss underneath it.
2.) Now, wrap around a twelve inches of dental floss around the index finger of each hand of the helper.
3.) Now slip the dental floss under the edge or gap you made in first step.
4.) Ask the helper to pull the floss gently towards the end of your nail bed in a sawing motion. This will make the acrylic nail fall down.
This method is very quick, but it may cause serious injury if not done properly.
Additional Tips to Follow:
- Never put acetone in a plastic bowl ad it will damage the bowl.
- Purchase a professional Acrylic Nail Remover kit from your local drugstore.
- Remember to use filing method only after your natural nails have grown out sufficiently.
- To make acrylic nail or any other fake nails adhere to your nail bed, multiple layers of the natural nail get affected. So, removing acrylic nails will make your natural nails weak and fragile for up to 3 growth cycles which will take about 6 months per cycle (from cuticle to tip.)
- Nails growth rate is slower during winter, so have patience and promote growth by moisturizing and using a product like Nail-Aid Collagen Nail Builder to brace your nails’ health.
- Make it a habit of moisturizing your hands and nails regularly. You can also buy a nail/hand treatment pack from your local drug store.
- When you notice that your acrylic nails starts to look yellow, or they have got thick, you must get rid of them.
- Ideally, you should let your fake nails to be grown out, but if you can’t wait, try the above mentioned method.
- If a nail tip gets broken, simply use an artificial nail glue to re-glue it until you are ready to get rid of it.
Things to Remember:
- Acetone is highly flammable. Always keep it away from heat or flame.
- If it is paining a lot when removing the nails or if you are not able to get rid of acrylic nails even after repeated attempts, consult a nail salon immediately.
- If you feel any other discomfort, pain or any infection in your nails, consult to your primary care physician or dermatologist.