In this article, we will discuss how to remove paint from wood? Getting rid of paint from a wooden object can be an easier task if you just have the right technique and right tools. Here we will show you two methods which can help you remove paint from wood. Just follow the directions carefully to get the best result.
Methods to Remove Pain from Wood:
NOTE: Before we move on to methods, you need to make sure the wooden object is not wet at all. And, in case it is, you will need to dry it using a cloth or a hair dryer. You can also use a heat gun as you will need it later as well. Also, while doing this task, always wear your face mask and working gloves all the time to prevent blisters or splinters.
1.) Sanding Method to Remove Paint from Wood
Steps to Follow:
- For this method you will need to arrange sandpaper with two types of grains: Rough one to do the starting task (removing the undesired paint) and Smooth Sandpaper to finish the task by polishing the wood.
- Now, begin with sanding the painted area on the wood. Be careful while doing this, do not sand any unwanted area of your wood. After you are done with sanding the painted part, use the smooth sandpaper to polish the area from which your removed paint.
- You can also use an electric sander as it will make your job easier. Sanding can be a very tough job as the sandpaper can get clogged up in the paint frequently. So have patience when performing this task. Always ensure that you’re sanding following the wood grain, in case you don’t, you will scratch the wood surface which will ruin your furniture badly.
- After you have finished sanding and polishing the wood, remove the wood dust on a wood using rug. You can damp the rug in paint solvent. Now, you can start painting the wood. Always ensure that the surface is very smooth. In case you are working on a small item, you can dust it using a brush or you can simply blow it away.
2.) Heat Gun Method to Remove Paint from Wood
This can be a very dangerous method if not done carefully. However, it is an easier method as well. For this, you will need to arrange a heat gun. Remember to wear proper gloves, goggles and a face mask to do this. Also, make sure you keep water near you so that the furniture you will be working on doesn’t catch fire.
- Now begin the method by keeping the heat gun eight to ten inches above the targeted painted wooden surface after you have turn the heat gun on.
- Next, you will need to warm the small part of the wood up. Then, move the heat gun slowly over the surface. After that pass it back and forth, left and right continuously.
- This will make the old paint softer due to the heat. Now, it will be easier to scrape the paint up as it will loosen. Once the paint starts to wrinkle and bubble, scrape the paint immediately using a broad paint scraper. Keep on doing the same process until all the paint is removed. But make sure you don’t burn the wood with heat.
- Now you can make the wood smooth and fine by scraping is using a sandpaper. This will not only help in making the wood smooth, but also help removing any removing paint residue from your furniture.
- Now, you are ready to paint the wood as you want to.