In this article, we will guide you how to remove rust? Getting rid of rust from metal can be quite a task. Though it is difficult, but it’s not impossible. There are numerous ways to approach the task of eliminating rust from an object. The approach which works best for you is mainly depend on what type of object you are trying to remove rust from and how much rust accumulation is on the item. Below we have mentioned some the ways to remove rust easily and safely. Follow the instruction properly for best results.
Ways to Remove Rust
If you are ready for some hard work, you may be able to remove rust with the help of some common household cleaning tools and products that are easily available.
1.) Scrubbing to Remove Rust
- Depending on the type of object you are going to clean, you may want to use steel wool, sandpaper, or a wire brush to get rid of rust accumulation.
- Abrasive objects can be excellent tools for getting rid of rust from metal. Just scrape or scrub the surface until the rust starts to disappear. Brush away the loose rust frequently and keep on scrubbing until all of the rust build-up is gone.
- This option is very effective for surfaces which don’t scratch easily. Avoid using this method on soft metals or item that has a smooth appearance and is free from scratches. While you can remove rust from such objects using this method, but you’ll end up with an object which is tainted by scratches in place of the rust.
2.) Dissolve Rust Using Vinegar
- Plain white vinegar is another effective substance for removing rust off metal.
- Simply pour or rub vinegar directly on the object which has become rusty.
- You can also soak small items in a container filled with the vinegar. The vinegar will start to dissolve the rust.
- Wait for some time and wipe the surface using a clean cloth and rinse it with cold water.
- If there is still some rust left behind, repeat the process again. In case the additional application of vinegar is not giving desired result, you may need to go for a commercial rust remover or some other cleaning method.
3.) Baking Soda to Remove Rust
Ways to Use Baking Soda to Remove Rust:
- In this method, just add some water in baking soda to form a thick paste.
- Using your fingers or a flat spreader, apply the thick paste on the rusty area.
- Let the paste sit on the affected area until it is completely dry.
- Dampen and scrub off the treated part.
- You will find that some – or even entire rust has loosened and washed away.
- You can repeat the process if required.
4.) Commercial Rust Removal Products
Commercial Rust Removal Products:
- There are plenty of commercial rust removal products available in the market. Though there are some natural products available, but most of the cleaning solutions made to remove rust are prepared using phosphoric acid.
- Phosphoric acid is known to react with rust quickly, converting it to a watery solution which is easy to scrub.
- Although, such cleaners makes your cleaning job quick, but it is important to know that they are quite toxic.
- If you are looking to use these types of rust removal products, follow all the safety instructions provided on the package.
- You will probably need to wear a mask and gloves, as well as a long pant and long-sleeved shirt when handling this type of cleaning agents.
Prevention to Take:
Few Prevention You Should Take:
- The ideal way to keep your metal surfaces free from rust is to take preventive measures which can help prevent them from getting rusty in the first place.
- Rust is usually formed on metal due to its prolonged exposure to moisture. So, it is important to keep your belongings dry and out of the elements than can rust them. For example, always keep your car clean, dry and waxed. Park it in a garage or keep it covered to protect from rain and moisture.
- Use a heavy vinyl cover for covering your barbecue grill when not in use.
- Keep your cast iron pans dry thoroughly before storing them. Season them regularly by rubbing some cooking oil on them.
- Thought you cannot prevent rust occurrence completely, but being careful with your metal objects will reduce the chances of getting rust.