In this article, we will discuss various methods to remove super glue. Super glue is one of the items which everyone keeps in their home because of their multiple purposes. Also known as Cyanoacrylate adhesive, it is very useful product around the home and is used frequently when there is a break or a hole in any object or similar things. One can be sure of the result and can’t doubt on the capability of super glue. If someone uses this super glue, he/she can be confident that the problem is going to get fixed since super glue is so strong. However, there are merits and demerits of the strength of super glue.
It has to be used very carefully and safely, otherwise it may cause many problems. Most of the time it happens that people got this super glue accidentally their skin or glue item to something else. If this is the case with you also, then you really need to know as to how to remove super glue. Below you can find several methods to get rid of super glue from skin and other objects.
A.) Methods to Remove Super Glue from the Skin
1.) Try to Remove it Gently
If the glue which is on the skin is very thick, leaving it to dry and then removing it off the skin has worked for many people. However, if you feel any pain or burning sensation, stop removing it immediately.
2.) Use Acetone to Remove Super Glue
In order to remove the super glue from skin, you can also use nail polish remover which is acetone based. This method works excellent. However, if you have sensitive skin, this method may not be for you.
- First wash and dry your hands, then apply a sufficient amount of acetone on your skin which has been affected by the super glue.
- Let the skin get dry in air.
- After it gets dry, try to peel the glue off your skin. It should some off easily as the acetone will loosen this.
- You can also use a nail file to get rid of super glue, but be careful that you don’t remove the skin with it.
3.) Butter to Remove Super Glue
Butter is another fine remedy to remove super glue. Rubbing butter on the skin will help loosen the glue and frequent application will make the peeling process easy.
4.) Laundry Detergent to Remove Super Glue
- Take some laundry detergent and mix it with hot water.
- Soak and rub the affected skin area with this solution.
- This will help remove the glue easily.
B.) Methods to Remove Super Glue from Eyes and Lips
1.) Steps to Remove Super Glue from Eyes
If the super glue comes into contact with your eyes, it is very important that you don’t panic and act swiftly to remove super glue right away. Here are the steps to help you with this.
- Take a soft cloth and soak it in warm water.
- Apply this cloth to the eye where the super glue is present and gently rub with this.
- After that, apply a small patch to your eye.
- This will take a couple of days for the super to get off.
- Also, let your tears flow freely as it will help dislodge the glue fast.
- You can also use a warm water to wash your eye if required.
NOTE: Consult an eye doctor soon if you feel a lot of pain and discomfort.
2.) Steps to Remove Super Glue from Lips
If you have accidentally got super glue on your lips, you need to act immediately to make sure that your lips don’t get stuck together. Here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Take a bowl of warm water and immerse your lips into the water immediately.
- Let the saliva build up in your mouth and push it against your lips.
- Once the glue is wet, you can try to peel this off your lips. But do not try very hard.
- Consult a doctor if the condition is very serious and you don’t see any progress.
C.) Remove Super Glue from Other Surfaces
1.) If you are trying to remove super glue from glass, you will be relieved to know that super glue does not stick to glass very well. You can easily remove it.
- Start peeling the glue with your hand (if possible) or you can use a sharp object. But remember to do it without damaging your glass.
- You can also soak the glass in warm water to remove super glue.
2.) Acetone is a fine ingredient to get rid of super glue from most of the surfaces. However, it can cause the concerned surface to become discolored or clouded.
- The best way is to try to remove the glue by your own first.
- After that you can use acetone, but take precaution as it can damage the surface.
- If you are not concerned about the damage, you can scrape the glue using a fine grit sand paper.
- If you are doing this, make sure you do it in small, circular motions to remove super glue.