We’ve all faced the threatening signs of clogged drain. The best example is water merging at your feet in the shower and basin water draining quite slowly. And one day you can’t overlook at it any longer, as there is a need to unclog a drain. It’s always essential to take precautionary measures, however we’re all human beings so that doesn’t always occur. There are different types of clogs, and as many tips to treat them. Read the article to learn the basic tips to unclog a drain.
Tips to Unclog a Drain
1.) Baking Soda to Unclog a Drain
This tip most likely won’t unclog your toughest drain blockage. If the blockage of your drain is not 100%, then it is a great and effective skill to unclog a drain. It also frees you from physically come in contact with the debris and waste of your drain and watching it face-to-face.
- Heat a pot of water and then gradually empty it down the drain.
- Let one cup of the hot water to be in the pot for later use.
- Directly add half cup of the baking soda and rest it for a few minutes.
- Pour some more hot water to remove the waste fast.
2.) Vinegar to Unclog a Drain
Vinegar is an effective home remedy to open blocked drain. It is considered as a king of home remedies as it also treats the skin and stomach infections quite well.
- Mix a cup of vinegar into the pot of hot water.
- Empty the mixture into the drain slowly.
- You will see the fizz because of the reaction of vinegar with the debris in drain.
- Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Remove the grease and soap down with extra boiling water.
3.) Wire Hanger to Unclog a Drain
It doesn’t get simpler than this tip to unclog a drain. For small blockages this tip is quite effective as it is simple to apply.
- First, tilt the collar of the hanger.
- Then uncurl the two pokes of the hanger as much as you can.
- Don’t touch the hook as it is the important part of the hanger as it is going to do all the dirty work.
- Bend the last two inches of the hanger to give it a handle to hold it.
- First remove the cover, if the hook can’t go through the drain’s cover.
- Drop the wire down till you touch some substance down there.
- Now, pull up about ten times and push down.
- Pull the wire out to remove the debris and remains that cause the blockage of drain.
- You will be satisfied as you’ve effectively pulled the foul clog out from the drain.
4.) Plungers to Unclog a Drain
Steps to Use Plungers:
- Plungers have the tendency to apply impressive power that’ll remove the clog in the main sewer, finally opening the blockage.
- The design of the plunger is such that it forms a pressure behind the blockage and after doing some pumps it shoots the waste right down your sewer.
- It is another option that’s simple, cheap, chemical-free and effective.
5.) Epsom Salt to Unclog a Drain
Steps to Use Epsom Salt:
- Take muffin tin, Epsom salt, baking soda, liquid detergent and muffin liner.
- First, into the muffin tin put your muffin liners.
- Add baking soda and Epsom salt together.
- Then mix some detergent in it slowly, just a few tablespoons at a time.
- Now drop the mixture into the muffin liners and wait for overnight at room temperature to dry it completely.
- Take away one of the cake from muffin liner and drop it in your drain.
- Now, pour a few cups of hot water in the drain. Wait for a few hours.
- This tip is a quite effective, safe and really a fun way to unclog a drain.
- The best part of this method is that it doesn’t involve harmful chemicals like the hydrochloric acid or sodium hypochlorite.
- The cake you made from Epsom salt doesn’t get expired easily.
6.) Plastic Stick to Unclog a Drain
Steps to Use Plastic Stick:
- This method costs next to nothing and is quite effective.
- All you need is a single plastic stick with a grip to hold it comfortably.
- This method is effective for hair clogs.
- Just push it down your drain, wrench it right back up, and you’re finished.