Clogged toilet is one of the most annoying thing that is experienced by everyone. The water in the bowl when flushed doesn’t drain properly, it means something is blocked deep inside. You can easily unclog a toilet without calling a professional or plumber. Most of the people when experience from clogged toilet, they straightaway call the plumber. This will cost them a good sum of money. In this article, we have mentioned the simple methods to unclog a toilet, that will save your money and are easy to implement.
Methods to Unclog a Toilet
1.) Stop the Overflow to Unclog a Toilet
When you flushed the toilet and water is not going down properly, then first thing you should do is stop the water from overflowing from the toilet.
- Take away the lid from the water tank.
- Next, close the flapper of the toilet.
- Turn off the water supply.
It will stop more water from going into the toilet bowl and overflowing. This is the basic and one of the most important steps to unclog a toilet.
2.) Take an Auger to Unclog a Toilet
Some clogs are so mature that they will make you frustrated and don’t unclog easily. In this situation you may use an auger to unclog a toilet. This is a tool made of cable with a hand crank and can be bought from any hardware or nearby store for around $20.
- Put the snake end of the auger in the toilet bowl hole.
- Move the handle in clockwise direction.
- Continue to push the cable deep inside, even when it meets the blockage to push the clog to drain.
- If you find difficult to push the blockage, you may catch it and pull it out with the help of the auger.
- Move the handle of the auger in clockwise direction to remove the cable.
- Remove any waste material on the present on the auger end and clean the auger with hot water and mixture of antibacterial bathroom cleaner.
- Use auger in the toilet bowl a few times to open any left blockage and flush hard.
- If you find that the blockage is present in the s-curve of the bowl rather than deep inside the line, then you could use a wire hanger in place of an auger.
- Use the wire quite carefully as the wire could cause scratches on the surface of the toilet bowl.
3.) Detergent Water to Unclog a Toilet
Tired of unclogged toilet and looking for a home remedy, then just take detergent water to unclog a toilet. Detergent water helps to remove the blockage that is trapped inside the bowl.
- Take a bucket of hot water.
- Add two to three spoons of detergent in the bucket.
- Mix it well to form a lather solution.
- Now, pour the hot detergent water inside the bowl from a good height.
- This will open the blockage by making the filth present in the bowl to drain.
4.) Take a Plunger to Unclog a Toilet
If the remedy of hot water and dish-washing liquid doesn’t unclog a toilet, you will need to take help of a plunger. Plungers like Funnel-cup work best to unclog a toilet because they form a better vacuum between the bowl and the plunger.
- Soak the rubber part of the plunger in hot water to make it flexible and increase its vacuum power.
- Push the plunger deep in the bowl and form a firm seal or vacuum.
- Push and pull a few times the plunger.
- Now, flush the toilet to check if the clog has been removed successfully or not.
- Continue the process of plunge and flush as required.
- Clean the plunger with the toilet paper or other waste stuff and spray some antibacterial bathroom cleaner on it.
5.) Prevention to Unclog a Toilet
Some clogs are obvious, but others can be prevented before causing serious issues. If you educate everyone present in your house to follow proper bathroom manners then you can prevent clogs early on.
- Use a few amount of toilet paper for every use.
- Don’t pour any type of hygienic wipes for flushing, even if the instructions say they are easy to flush.
- Go for multiple flushes as needed.
- Install the toilet jets close to the rim, so that there is a good force to push waste down in the toilet bowl.
- Don’t place small objects above the toilet like toothbrushes; oil or Q-tips where they could fall in the toilet accidentally.
6.) Baking Soda to Unclog a Toilet
Baking Soda is a trusted remedy to unclog a toilet on which you have used plunger and flushed it several times earlier. You know it quite well that baking soda when mixed with vinegar does a fantastic task by cleaning the surfaces. It is excellent deodorizers and is quite helpful to keep the toilet to run smoothly. Baking soda when mixed with vinegar works quite well to open a clogged toilet.
- Just add one cup of baking soda to the toilet that is clogged from several days.
- Wait for a few minutes to let the baking soda to do its magic.
- Now, slowly add two cups of vinegar into the bowl having baking soda.
- When baking soda reacts with the vinegar it cause bubbles and fizz sound.
- Just be sure to drop slowly and sensibly so that the water does not splash out of the toilet or overflow.
- Wait for a few minutes to let the mixture of vinegar and baking soda to work.
- Flush the toilet to see if the blockage has removed or not.