In this article, we will discuss how to wash makeup brushes? Cleaning or washing makeup brushes may not sound exciting to many, but it is very important. This is because: one must wash the makeup brushes on regular basis so that they can be kept safe from bacteria and other foreign particles as no one wants to end up with germs or bacteria on their face. You should take this as a basic hygiene. For makeup brushes that you use for your own face, it is recommended to wash them at least once a week. In case you use them more frequently, you may wash them twice a week. There are mainly two ways to properly wash makeup brushes.
- First, for those who have more time and want to keep the cleaning process easy and simple.
- Second, for those who are a professional and want instant cleaning.
Below we have explained both the process to help you wash makeup brushes easily and effectively. Follow the steps properly to get positive results.
Steps to Wash Makeup Brushes
1.) For Gentle Cleaning of Makeup Brushes
Steps to Follow:
- Take one tablespoon of any organic or baby shampoo in a small bowl.
- Then add warm water from the faucet to make it nice and bubbly.
- Next, soak your used makeup brushes into this solution. Swirl them gently across the bottom of the bowl to remove any dirt or residue from them. Place the brushes in the water only as you add other brushes one at a time.
- After washing them, let them have a quick soak for only 5 to 10 seconds.
- Hold each brush under cold water (one at a time) to rinse off any remaining residue.
- Get rid of any water by pressing the hairs of brushes between your fingers until they are back to their original shape.
2.) For Professional or Heavy Duty Makeup Brushes
Steps to Follow:
- Take a professional brush cleaning spray. You can buy one from your local or online beauty supply.
- You can go for Cinema Secrets spray as it is perfectly suitable for professional makeup artists who need to wash their brushes frequently throughout their jobs. However you can go for other available cleaning spray also. The choice is up to you.
- Begin with your cream blush and foundation brushes as these brushes have the most residues and require more attention. Spray the cleaner directly on these brushes’ heads to soak the bristles completely.
- Now rub the heads back and forth over a tissue or paper towel continuously until there is no more dirt or residue to clean from them.
- Next, spray the rest of your brushes (one at a time). Spray it on your lip, eyeliner, eyebrow brushes.
Rub them also back and forth. You will notice that these brushes are getting cleaned much faster than the other ones. Also, such solution dries within a couple of minutes so it’s great to use them.
3.) Drying your Makeup Brushes
Steps to Follow:
- It is recommended that you never dry your brushes in an upright position as the water settles into the glue of your brushes which binds the bristles together at the base of brush head. If kept in such position, the hair will start breaking down from the glue over time. It will make the hair to come off when you swipe them against your face. So, it is best to lay the brushes flat.
- To make the drying process better, take a hand towel, a dinner napkin or a paper towel. Fold it in half 3 times. This done to make it smaller and to create a crease in it. Then, unfold it once. Slide anything cylindrical under it to give it a see-saw look.
- Now, balance all the brushes across the crease in order to make the head of the brushes point down, but not making any contact with the paper towel.
- Now allow them to dry completely for several hours. You can keep them overnight as well (if you have time).
- Afterwards put them back to their box.
- Congratulation! Now you know how to wash makeup brushes easily and effectively.