In this article, we will discuss the top way to take acrylic nails off. It seems to be the craze these days having acrylic nails. However, removing them may be a bit challenging but the good news is that you’ve arrived at the right place if you’re wondering how to take acrylic nails off. Read more, to know ways to remove acrylic nails with common household items.
Steps to Take Acrylic Nails off:
1. Clip Your Nails to Take Off Fake Nails
Your first step is to use a nail clipper to cut the tips of your acrylic nails short. Now, trim off as much of the acrylic nails as possible. In case you find the cutting of nails difficult due to the thickness then use a coarse nail file to file them. To filing very carefully and make sure you do not cut any of your nail bed because it will bleed.
2. File the Topcoat Off of the Nails to Remove Acrylic Nails
To file off the paint of the topcoat you need to use a fine-grade buffer and try to remove as much of the acrylic as possible. Simply use long strokes that run the length of the nail to take acrylic nails off.
3. Pour the Acetone into a Bowl to Get Acrylic Nails Off at Home
Acetone is the best material to take acrylic nails off. Fill a glass bowl to half with acetone. You should pick a large bowl and fill warm water to heat the acetone. Caution: Do not try to heat acetone in the microwave and do not keep it near any source of heat as it extremely flammable. Make sure the room is fully ventilated since acetone has strong vapors. Make sure you do not light a cigarette near acetone.
4. Apply Petroleum Jelly to Remove Acrylic Nails
In this step, you need to apply petroleum jelly to the skin surrounding your nails. This is important as the acetone dissolves plastic and is also quite hard on skin. So, that application of petroleum jelly becomes a must. It will prevent your skin from irritation, particularly if you have hangnails.
5. Apply Acetone to Your Nails for Taking Acrylic Nails Off
To apply the acetone you need to saturate one cotton ball per nail in the warmed acetone. After that, place the cotton balls on the tips of the fingers. You should wrap them tightly against the nails using few strips of aluminum foil. Now, soak your nails in acetone and remove and wait for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the Foil and Cotton Balls to Get Acrylic Nails Off at Home
After the above step, the cotton ball and the nail should come off easily. You need to gently pry the nails off by using an orange wood stick if you soaked the acrylic nails in the acetone. If the nails are still firmly stuck then you should repeat the process for another twenty minutes and then attempt to remove. Once the acrylic nails come off, scrape the leftover with the nail buffer.
7. Shape Your Natural Nails
Once your acrylic nails have been removed. You need to use nail clippers and a file to smooth the edges. Buff your nails with a fine-grade nail buffer, gradually moving from the base of the nail to the tip. Try to file only in one direction to avoid damaging your nails. The top layers of the nails may have been removed with the acrylic. So, be careful not to tear or damage them further while using file and buff.
8. Restore the Moisture to Your Hands
In the process of taking acrylic nails off, the acetone causes the skin to become extremely dry. Now, restore the moisture again you need to rinse off the remaining traces with soap and water. Rub the nails with body oil, olive oil or a moisturizing lotion to regain initial moisture.
Other Ways to Remove Acrylic Nails
1. Remove Acrylic Nails with Dental Floss
This is also one of the easy way to get rid of acrylic or fake nails at home. However, if you want to take off your own acrylic nails then you will need a partner. He/ she will help you to pull the dental floss beneath the nails. Once you have got the partner, follow the below-listed points to take acrylic nails off at home.
- Pull the edge of your fake nails. For this, you can use a cuticle stick. Do not apply the pressure while pulling the nail. Be gentle while working.
- Ask your partner to slide the dental floss below the edge of the nail. For this, your partner should face you. Place the dental floss under the edge of the nail. Hold the dental floss from both the ends.
- Now ask your partner to draw the dental floss to and fro under the fake nails from both the sides. While doing so the fake nail will get loose and thus you can remove it. Continue with this method until you are able to remove acrylic nails. Be gentle while doing this. If it isn’t done correctly then you might tend to tear your real nails. Do this with every nail.
- Once you have removed the acrylic nails, buff them with a nail buffer. It will help to clean your nails and remove unevenness. Then apply a cuticle moisturiser to moisturise it.
2. Hot Water to Take Off Fake Nails
This method is and harmless. While removing acrylic nails with dental floss you could hurt yourself. But with hot water, there is no probability of hurting yourself and it is much convenient. All you have to do is follow the following instructions to remove the fake nails.
- In a bowl pour warm water. The water should be warm enough to work with easily. Do not burn yourself with too hot water.
- Dip your nails in the water. Keep the acrylic nails deep in the warm water until you see, the acrylic nails chipping off.
- The fake nails will get swollen and then you can remove them easily.
- Once the acrylic nail starts swelling, take a toothpick and place it on the fake nails and gradually scratch the acrylic nails.
- While doing so the water will cool down so you have to get another bowl of hot water and repeat the process until you succeed in removing all the fake nails.
- Once you are able to take off the acrylic nails, with a nail file brush off the spare acrylic nails from the natural nails.
- At last, apply some petroleum jelly on the nails and bed of the nails.